My adventures and other things I find interesting

Saturday, June 18, 2011

Pacific Crest Trail (Desert Section) - Leg 3 Idyllwild to Big Bear

I am breaking these legs up into the sections in between my day's off as this is how I planned my trip and seems to be a good way to share my adventure. As mentioned, Free Range and I were a few miles into this part already. The next day we were a little worried about as we were told that Fuller Ridge could be dangerous and we might need crampons and ice axes. I only had Yak Trax with me and my hiking poles. Best time to do this in the morning but not too early to soften the snow just a little. Turns out it was nothing but patches of snow in the trees. It would have been a lot more dangerous probably only 2-3 weeks prior, but nothing for us thank goodness. Fuller Ridge the following day where I am pointing to.



The next part was probably the most mentally challenging of all days. Remember the gentle grade and many switchbacks the trail can make - well we saw the same view for 15 miles (almost 6 hours) down to the highway 10 near Palm Springs. It was great of the trail crew to make sure we saw every little canyon and speck of that hillside. It was so very frustrating!!! It was tempting just to hike straight down the hill except that it is rattlesnake country so we needed none of that. BTW I did see 2 big rattlers my whole hike!! We finally make it down to the bottom of the hill for our next water source. My most grumpy moment the whole trip!!

The next day was full of trail majic!! A box of oranges in the morning. More food and drink under the bridge going under the highway. The Mesa Wind Farm office was open so we had air conditioning, frozen meals for sale along with drinks, flush toilets, etc. That was lucky!! Had a great day of hiking - anything was better than those switchbacks. We took a small half mile detour off the PCT to the Whitewater Preserve. There was a cold water hole that they let us soak in as it was a pretty hot day. There was another guy, Buck 30, with BBQ and the works including salad!!! Hung around there for a couple of hours before heading on to one of my most favourite campsites by a river.





I was tired the next day and we had a big climb up to do. Probably all the "quality" food we ate the day before didn't help. There was an old cabin with open windows and doors that we slept in, but at elevation it was still cold at Coon Creek.



The next day wasn't quite a full day to take us to the road to get to Big Bear for a much needed full zero!! When we got to the road, it was a strong, cold wind. There was a cop on break there talking to some hot blond which prevented anyone stopping as we were trying to hitch a ride. Another cop came and he said that the one stopped there was leaving soon. This new, very cute cop was going the other way so couldn't give us a ride and also if he did, he would have to search us. We just laughed as we were 4 days in the bush and very dirty and stinky. We finally got a ride to the Big Bear Hostel.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home